PhD Position within the BMBF project "Empathic Artificial Intelligence"
The research project aims to develop Empathic Artificial Intelligence, which enables systems to recognize and react to affective and social states of a person. For this mission, we are looking for a motivated researcher from the field of computer science or data science or statistics. Within the project your focus will be on the analysis of social interaction patterns. Using social network analysis, machine learning, graph theoretical approaches or sequence data mining techniques, you will investigate social network data and real interactions to discover maladaptive and beneficial interaction patterns. Doing a PhD within the project will be explicitly supported.
The project takes place within the research group "Multimodal Behavior Processing" (https://www.uni-bielefeld.de/fakultaeten/technische-fakultaet/arbeitsgruppen/multimodal-behavior-processing/
). The research group is located at the Center for Cognitive Interaction Technology (CITEC), which offers an optimal working environment through well-equipped laboratories and exchange with leading research groups. The project also includes international collaborations with research partners at University of Aarhus (Denmark) and Mount Sinai Hospital New York (USA) and cooperation with industry partners in Berlin.
Research activities (90 %):
- application and further development of methods (e. g., machine-learning, statistical or graph-based) for analyzing interaction behavior
- planning, conduction, and evaluation of empirical studies of social interaction
- analysis of behavioral data with classical statistical tests
- publication of the results in English journals and conference publications
- reporting and presenting progress and results to the organization and cooperation partners
Teaching activities (10 %):
- supervision of bachelor/master theses or student projects
From 01.12.2024 to 30.11.2025 the proportion of the of the working time in the area of teaching (tutorials) will be 20 %, research activities 80 %.
The employment is conducive to academic qualification.
- salary according to Remuneration level 13 TV-L
- befristet 30.11.2025 (§ 2 (1) sentence 1 of the WissZeitVG; in accordance with the provisions of the WissZeitVG and the Agreement on Satisfactory Conditions of Employment, the length of contract may differ in individual cases)
- innovative, interdisciplinary and socially relevant field of research
- exciting and varied activities
- high degree of autonomous work
- flexible working hours and a fixed place of work (Bielefeld)
- direct and structured supervision of the research work
- collegial cooperation in an interdisciplinary and international team
- internal and external training opportunities
- international cooperations
- completed scientific university degree or advanced scientific university studies in computer science, a computer science-related discipline (e. g. data science, math, statistics, or cognitive science) or another field relevant to the project
- practical experience and theoretical knowledge in machine learning or graph-theory or complex data mining or statistics
- interest and passion for interdisciplinary research at the intersection of computer science and psychology
- very good programming skills (preferably in Python)
- proficiency in English (oral and written)
- analytical skills and scientific mindset
- independent, self-reliant and cooperative style of work
- prior knowledge in ego network analysis
- experience with the conceptualization or implementation of psychological experiments
- plan to receive a PhD degree
We are looking forward to receiving your application, including following documents: 1. Cover letter, 2. Certificates (BA/MA), 3. Transcript of records, 4. reference. For full consideration, your application should be received via either email (a single PDF document is required) sent to email@example.com or
post (see postal address). Please mark your application with the identification code: Wiss22411. Please note that the possibility of privacy breaches and unauthorized access by third parties cannot be excluded when communicating via unencrypted e-mail. For Information on the processing of personal data click here
application deadline: 06.07.2022