The Faculty of Sociology and the Faculty of Economics have the following up to 6 job openings:
As part of the Research Training Group 2951 "Cross-border Labour Markets: Transnational Market Makers, Infrastructures, Institutions", funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG), 6 doctoral research positions are availble.
The Research Training Group (RTG) "Cross-border Labour Markets" is a joint programme of Bielefeld University and the University of Duisburg-Essen. Starting from April, 1, 2024, it offers a total of 11 positions for doctoral researchers (a maximum of 6 positions at both Bielefeld University and the University of Duisburg-Essen). The positions give successful applicants the opportunity to conduct their own research projects, within the context of the RTG research programme, and complete a doctoral dissertation within an inspiring international and interdisciplinary intellectual environment.
The RTG investigates cross-border labour markets with an emphasis on their transnational embeddedness, with a focus on the conditions for the emergence of cross-border labour markets, encompassing the roles that transnational 'market makers' (such as states, multinational corporations, or intermediaries), transnational infrastructures (such as means of transportation, accomodation, or social networks), and transnational institutions (rules and regulations, visa and border regimes, recognition of qualifications, or industrial relations) play in this regard. For more details on the RTG, its research programme and participating researchers, please consult the RTG webpage (https://grk2951.de/
- conducting a research project related to the RTG's research programme and completing a report and/or journal articles on the results (75 %)
- participating in the courses and events of the RTG qualification programme (20 %), which is compatible with the structured doctoral programmes of the Faculty of Sociology (BGHS) and the Faculty of Business Administration and Economics (BIGSEM) (Enrollment in either BGHS or BIGSEM is expected.)
- contributing to the further development of the RTG qualification programme (5 %)
Employment is conducive to scientific qualification.
- salary according to Remuneration level 13 TV-L
- befristet (4 years) (§ 2 (1) sentence 1 of the WissZeitVG ; in accordance with the provisions of the WissZeitVG and the Agreement on Satisfactory Conditions of Employment, the length of contract may differ in individual cases)
- Teilzeit 75 %
- internal and external training opportunities
- variety of health, consulting and prevention services
- reconcilability of family and work
- flexible working hours
- possibility of a job ticket for public transport services, good transport connection
- supplementary company pension
- collegial working environment
- open and pleasant working atmosphere
- exciting, varied tasks
- modern work environment with digital processes
- various offers (canteen, cafeteria, restaurants, Uni-Shop, ATM, etc.)
- completed scientific university degree (e. g. Master or equivalent) in sociology, economics, social anthropology, or a related social science
- open-mindedness towards the academic disciplines involved in the RTG, and commitment to interdisciplinary collaboration
- excellent command of English (written and spoken). The RTG's working language is English.
- independent, self-reliant, and committed mode of working
- cooperative and team-oriented way of working
- preliminary experiences in research (e. g., gained by working as a student assistant; participating in research seminars)
- topically or methodologically pertinant preliminary work with regard to the RTG research programme; e.g. in the master's thesis
We are looking forward to receiving your application. Following application documents in English are required: Letter of motivation with reference to the Research Training Group and the names of three possible supervisors from the group of participating researchers in the order of your preference (cf. https://grk2951.de/), CV, 3-4-page short synopsis with your research idea, a work sample (e. g. a chapter from the dissertation or an essay publication) and all university degree documents. To apply, please preferably use our online form via the application button below.
application deadline: 15.12.2023