The newly founded Transregional Collaborative Research Center (TRR 318) „Constructing Explainability“ has the f
Research Position for the SFB TRR 318 (Subproject B01-EE)
The newly founded Collaborative Research Center Transregio (TRR 318) „Constructing Explainability“, which is carried out jointly by the universities of Paderborn and Bielefeld, investigates how algorithmic transparency can be fostered, in particular in the context of black-box models as used in state-of-the-art artificial intelligence systems. The central hypothesis of the research center is that explanations of algorithmic decisions are most efficient if they are constructed jointly (co-constructed) by the explainer and the explainee. The mechanisms of this co-construction will be investigated by an interdisciplinary consortium to lay the foundations for the sovereign and informed decision making by humans in their interaction with intelligent systems.
The possibility of further scientific qualification (doctorate) is given and supported by an interdisciplinary graduate school. Participation in teaching is expressly desired.
The goal of project B01 in the TRR is to develop a new approach to dialog management that allows users to understand how a machine learned model works. The dialog system will answer specific questions about a learned classifier. The project is carried out in cooperation with the Department of Computer Science of Paderborn University (Prof. Axel Ngonga) and with the Faculty of Technology at Bielefeld University (Prof. Philipp Cimiano). The tasks comprise of the development of an interactive protocol for the dialog system, its implementation, and its validation with end users.
The job posting is subject to funding approval.
- interdisciplinary research in the subject area of the above-mentioned project, participation in the joint research activities of the CRC, publication and presentation of results (90 %)
- contribution to teaching (5 %) and administrative activities (5 %)
The employment is designed to encourage further academic qualification.
- salary according to Remuneration level 13 TV-L
- befristet position until end of project, probably 30.06.2025 (§ 2 (1) sentence 1 of the WissZeitVG; in accordance with the provisions of the WissZeitVG and the Agreement on Satisfactory Conditions of Employment, the length of contract may differ in individual cases)
- internal and external training opportunities
- a wide range of health, consulting and prevention service
- reconcilability of family and working life
- constant place of work (Bielefeld) without travel activities
- flexible working hours
- job ticket for regional public transport network
- Master degree (or equivalent) in Sociology or a related area
- knowledge of qualitative methods of empirical social research
- knowledge of conversation analysis
- very good knowledge of written and spoken English
- very good communication and teamwork skills
- independent, self-reliant and dedicated style of work
- interest in interdisciplinary research cooperation
- knowledge in the field of theory of society and interaction theory
- knowledge in the field of quantitative social research
- experience in conducting and organizing empirical research projects
We are looking forward to receiving your application. For full consideration, your application (including letter of motivation, CV, (if aplicable) list of publications) should be received via either email (a single PDF document is required) sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or post (see postal address). Please mark your application with the identification code: Wiss21665. Please note that the possibility of privacy breaches and unauthorized access by third parties cannot be excluded when communicating via unencrypted e-mail. For Information on the processing of personal data click here
application deadline: 23.06.2021