We are looking for a PhD candidate in the Neurobiology group at Bielefeld University which offers an international working environment in a DFG-funded research project on insect navigation.
The project deals with the following topic: Natural and artifical environments can be spatially dense, e. g. containing numerous trees, posing a challenge for efficient insect travel.
Bees navigate beween their nest and food source routinely. How they select and follow routes in cluttered environments remain unknown. The candidate will conduct lab experiments to reveal the critical components in route selection and following in dense environments. The candidate is expected to conduct a range of behavioural experiments with bumblebees, analyse the data collected and collaborate with the other participants in the project.
Research tasks (100 %):
- designing, conducting, and supervising behavioural experiments with bumblebees and providing scientific supervision to research assistants who support the experiments (40 %)
- analysing behavioural data (30 %)
- communicating and documenting the research within and outside the lab (20 %)
- participating in research activities and scientific discussions in the research group (10 %)
The employment is designed to encourage further academic qualification.
- completed scientific university degree (e. g. Master of Science or equivalent) in Biology, Neuroscience, Psychology or any other related subject
- interest in insect navigation, cognition and neuroethology
- advanced experience in at least one programming language (e. g. Python)
- experience with behavioural experiments in insects
- fluent in written and spoken English
- independent, self-reliant and dedicated style of work
- strong organizational and coordination skills
- ability to cooperate and work in a team
- experience with video analyses (e. g. DeepLabCut)
- salary according to Remuneration level 13 TV-L
- befristet to 36 months (§ 2 (1) sentence 1 of the WissZeitVG; in accordance with the provisions of the WissZeitVG and the Agreement on Satisfactory Conditions of Employment, the length of contract may differ in individual cases)
- Teilzeit 65 %
- a wide range of health, consulting and prevention service
- reconcilability of family and working life
- flexible working hours
- job ticket for regional public transport network
- supplementary company pension
- collegial working environment
- open and pleasant working atmosphere
- exciting, varied tasks
We are looking forward to receiving your application. For full consideration, your application should be received via either email (a single PDF document is required) sent to email@example.com or
post (see postal address). Please mark your application with the identification code: Wiss21741. Please note that the possibility of privacy breaches and unauthorized access by third parties cannot be excluded when communicating via unencrypted e-mail. For Information on the processing of personal data click here
application deadline: 11.08.2021