We are offering a research position in the research project “The Worldviews of Ice: Constructions of the Arctic at the Science/Politics Interface” (principal investigators: Mathias Albert and Holger Straßheim, in cooperation with Daniela Portella Sampaio). The project studies how competing narratives of the Arctic, imbued with geopolitical images, are produced in, and altered through, closely interconnected epistemic communities that link the sciences to politics. The aim of the project is (1) to trace how these images are co-produced at relevant interfaces between scientific and political communities dealing with Arctic issues, (2) to inquire about how these images are transmitted into, and received within, wider Arctic epistemic communities, and (3) to show in an exemplary fashion how such images can influence, and actually have influenced, policy-making.
In addition to participating in all common project activities and in the case study on the Arctic Council, the researcher to be hired will be primarily responsible for conducting the case study on worldviews of major Arctic research institutes, but particularly also of Arctic scientists from a variety of national and disciplinary backgrounds.
- case study on the emergence, presence, and consequences of (geopolitical) images in Arctic research in the natural sciences (utilizing interviews and document analysis) (70 %)
- participation in joint case study on interactions between science and policy actors in the Arctic Council (15 %)
- synthesis and participation in the publication of a joint project monograph (15 %)
Employment is conductive to scientific qualification.
- salary according to Remuneration level 13 TV-L
- befristet until 31.01.2025 (§ 2 (1) sentence 1 of the WissZeitVG; in accordance with the provisions of the WissZeitVG and the Agreement on Satisfactory Conditions of Employment, the length of contract may differ in individual cases)
- Teilzeit 65 %
- internal and external training opportunities
- wide range of health, consulting and prevention service
- reconcilability of family and working life
- flexible working hours
- job ticket for regional public transport network
- collegial working environment
- open and pleasant working atmosphere
- scientific university degree (Master or equivalent) in the fields of Political Science/International Relations, Political Sociology, Science, Technology and Society Studies (STS) or (Political) Geography with at least a final grade of good
- very good working knowledge of English and German
- in-depth knowledge of International Relations, Global Political Sociology or related fields conducive to the research
- an independent and team-oriented working style
- experience with qualitative research
- knowledge of Arctic science and/or politics
We are looking forward to receiving your application. For full consideration, your application should be received via either email (a single PDF document is required) sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or post (see postal address). Please mark your application with the identification code: Wiss21880. Please note that the possibility of privacy breaches and unauthorized access by third parties cannot be excluded when communicating via unencrypted e-mail. For Information on the processing of personal data click here
application deadline: 13.10.2021